I'm planning to replace the million year old florescent light (I think it was the first one ever made) above my kitchen sink with a couple recessed lights. Is there anything specific I should be thinking about when selecting the type of fixture / bulbs?

1 Answer 1


If you've got insulation in the ceiling, you'll need to get IC (insulation contact) rated fixtures -- they're also known as closed-can. I have a small soffet built over my sink; if yours is similar, make sure that the fixture you select will fit. Other than that, don't exceed the wattage for the fixture and you'll be OK.

EDIT: On second thoughts, use an IC rated fixture regardless of whether or not you have insulation. Over a sink, you're likely to have a lot of steam and if it's an open-can fixture, the stack effect is going to draw much of it up into the space over the ceiling.

  • Good point about the IC fixture.
    – Tester101
    Oct 25, 2010 at 18:15
  • What about the lights themselves incandescent, compact florescence, LED, something different?
    – Tester101
    Oct 25, 2010 at 18:17
  • Use a flood that fills the opening. It can be whatever type you like (maybe not halogens though). Wattage ratings are for incandescents, so a CFL or LED is going to be OK. I use a daylight CFL flood.
    – Niall C.
    Oct 25, 2010 at 18:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.