What is this metal piece on top of my threshold called? I'm asking because I am looking to purchase the same one for another exterior door in my house.

enter image description here

  • It's a proprietary component that doesn't really have a name and that you won't find in stores and likely can't even get from the manufacturer. You might make do with a carpet transition strip.
    – isherwood
    Dec 22, 2021 at 19:31
  • I've edited your photo - please confirm whether you mean the outer/left strip A or the inner/right strip B, as there are two types in the picture.
    – Tetsujin
    Dec 22, 2021 at 19:35
  • @isherwood - I've asked the OP for clarification, but you could get either of those in any big box store. The left is pretty standard 'no-match' flat trim, the right will probably be a -shape & be fixed under the last board, meaning you'd have to lift boards to get to it. It might even be a single sided carpet edge re-purposed as a board edge.
    – Tetsujin
    Dec 22, 2021 at 19:40
  • Not that I don't believe you, but... links or it didn't happen. :D The one you provided below isn't to a particular product. I don't see one that matches. Also, they're for flooring transitions, not door thresholds.
    – isherwood
    Dec 22, 2021 at 19:47
  • @isherwood - i can't find an example of the flat bar exactly like that - but I had a houseful of it until I changed all the carpets about 5 years ago. The carpet strip - remlandcarpets.co.uk/accessories/aluminium-door-bars/…
    – Tetsujin
    Dec 22, 2021 at 19:57

2 Answers 2


It's a 'threshold bar' or strip, 'threshold transition bar/strip', 'joint strip' or 'joint trim'.

Any big box DIY store will stock many types, in many finishes.

If you're not sure which type you need - they depend on what material is on each side & the relative heights - then take that picture & one of your proposed new site to the store with you, & ask.

What you appear to have in your photo are two of different types, rather than a single transition strip.

Some examples - https://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Flooring/Flooring-Tools+Accessories/Flooring-Threshold-Bars/c/1000907

  • thanks for your answer. I’m thinking about taking this approach and adding a door sweep with a seal to my door. Although I’m wondering if I’d be better off getting a more modern aluminum sill and threshold for a better seal. Dec 22, 2021 at 19:45
  • idk just from looking at the picture, but if you want s sealing strip, then you're looking for a 'threshold sealing strip', also in a myriad styles - see ironmongerydirect.co.uk/browse/hinges-seals-and-intumescent/…
    – Tetsujin
    Dec 22, 2021 at 19:49
  • That threshold strip that is marked with the letter "A" may be adjustable up and down. Try turning the screws heads and see if that piece will move up and down. I have a similar one and mine adjusts.
    – d.george
    Dec 23, 2021 at 11:48

They are transition strips and, as Tetsujin mentioned, there are a number of different types. Most of the wood ones we looked at when doing some flooring did end up combining one or more pieces with a base and the number and selection depends on the height differential, profile, and surfaces on either side of the transition.

Since that one appears to have some insulation, it may be filed near the doorway/threshold sections of your local home improvement store instead of the flooring section.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.