The pipe above this vent was dripping against the wall, the drops has been fixed and the wall has dried out. But the plaster/wall around it is an odd combination of powery and spongy, and feel like some special form of plaster was used, and the vent to the outside is coming away slightly.

Is there any simple, relatively neat solution to fixing this? Such as expanding foam. Probably needs to be semi weather-resistant as cold and wind come through the vent a lot.

  • 2
    Heath Robinson called & wants his plumbing back;) [sorry, couldn't resist.]
    – Tetsujin
    Dec 2, 2021 at 8:20
  • 2
    About the only simple fix is remove and replace with something. The plaster is ruined/can't be fixed. Remove all damage plaster. Can replace with almost any wall covering(drywall).
    – crip659
    Dec 2, 2021 at 11:56
  • 3
    Had to look him up, @Tetsujin. #TIL. Thanks! (continuing the cross-pond education!)
    – FreeMan
    Dec 2, 2021 at 13:47
  • 1
    Heath Robinson:Rube Goldberg::Tomahto:Tomayto
    – jay613
    Dec 2, 2021 at 15:39

1 Answer 1


Remove back to sound plaster.

Clean throughly.

Apply new plaster.

  • 1
    It ain't rocket surgery! Dec 2, 2021 at 15:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.