Guests room has 2 doors:

  • One that opens inside the house, to let those already in the house move to guests room.
  • One that opens to the outside of the house, to let those outside to get in.

The inside door will have a lock only on the inside. The guests side will have no key hole, since it is never locked/unlocked from there. The guests also never need to know if the door is locked, so no need for red/green indicators either.

Question: what are the options for such oneside-locked doors?

I thought of cutting a cylinder/barrel in half to eliminate the key hole on the guests side. But not sure how it works.

I also thought of using door latches, but these have no locks/keys, which might be useful to limit kids going to guests' room without parents' approval (key).

I also thought of digital locks, but they cost a lot in every aspect: initial and maintenance costs are too high, and replacement parts are too hard to find for the same lock, as they evolve a lot over time, which may require cutting doors again and again to adapt to size variations.

  • 2
    Have you looked at an ordinary "privacy door knob?" This is a door knob that lock from the inside, without a key. Nov 25, 2021 at 9:41
  • And typically also unlock from the outside with a screwdriver - they provide privacy, not security. this is the sort of lockset typically used on home bathrooms.
    – Jasen
    Nov 25, 2021 at 10:08
  • 1
    What about a lever Mortice lock without a keyhole drilled on the guests side? The key can be removed to prevent locking if needs be too... EDIT: like this
    – Rich
    Nov 25, 2021 at 10:52
  • 1
    What is the context, are you renting the room out on AirBnB or is this for known guests? I think most AirBnB guests would try all the doors in a room they were staying so I'm not sure it matters if they see a lock on the door, they know it will be locked. I would use a simple one sided cylinder deadbolt. Or for a cheap and simple solution a slide latch
    – DWGKNZ
    Nov 25, 2021 at 12:53

1 Answer 1


Which side of the pond are you? If in Europe, I would use the so-called "half-cylinder" for the door lock: Half-cylinder door lock

and just put some filler plates on the guest room side to cover the holes in the door.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.