I'm buying a house built in 1949. This item is located outside near the front door, door bell and mail slot. Anyone know what it is?enter image description here

  • take the cover off and look inside
    – jsotola
    Nov 21 '21 at 1:02
  • 3
    The ugliest disconnect ever made? I wouldn't touch it. Don't inhale the dust from your siding either.
    – Mazura
    Nov 21 '21 at 1:11
  • the metal handle indicates that the part in the middle probably unplugs ... maybe it is an electrical connection for reading some meter
    – jsotola
    Nov 21 '21 at 1:13
  • 2
    Just speculation, but perhaps a switch cover to prevent people from turning the switch on or off?
    – Mark
    Nov 21 '21 at 3:03
  • 1
    Old-stye weatherproof switch, IMHO. Try moving the metal bail. Or just plan to update it, if it's still in service.
    – Ecnerwal
    Nov 21 '21 at 23:19

A wild guess: some sort of recessed cord reel?

I think you are going to have to remove the cover and see what is behind...and post a picture...I cannot wait to see what is back there!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.