I'm planning to build furniture for home.

I'm confused whether to use MR (Moisture Resistant) plywood(IS 303 standard) or BWP (Boiling Water Proof) plywood (IS 710 standard) for furniture.

I'm happy to use BWP plywood for kitchen but what about other furniture like cupboard, showcase, TV stand, etc.

Seller advised me to buy BWP for everything as the home is 25km from coast and there will be humidity.

I feel MR should do fine because furniture are no where near the kitchen or bathroom.

Any ideas are welcome

FYI: BWP is bit expensive than MR Here is the link detailing what' BWP , MR and other standards

Please find sketch of my furniture here

  • You will be painting/staining/sealing the furniture after making or just leaving as bare wood? Bare wood you might want the better stuff.
    – crip659
    Commented Nov 19, 2021 at 10:33
  • Outside , I'd be lamenating with 0.8mm thickness and inside I'd be doing putty and paint for smoothness
    – Amogam
    Commented Nov 19, 2021 at 10:34

1 Answer 1


If you are on budget go with MR plywood for Kitchen and other humid places ( IS 303 ) and Hardwood ply for less humid places.

But make sure you are using the quality laminates and paint the non-laminated areas with water or termite resistant paints.

There are some BWP or BWR plywoods that are fire retardant as well , it all comes down to what your budget is.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.