This is somewhat related to the question I found here: Will a spike protector work in reverse?

I have a trusty old 3D printer running on the same power strip as my two computers including a screen.

Whenever I turned on the printer, my screen would turn off for a short moment before turning back on.

A few weeks later my screen would turn off and on continously, and when checking the connections of the screen I realized sparks were flying between the screens back plate and the display cable. The screen's warranty had of course ended a few months ago and I had to replace it in fear of fire hazard.

With my new screen, on the first time I turned the printer on, it too started turning off and on continously, even after unplugging the printer. I suspcted the worst, only now all puzzle pieces falling together. What if the printer produces a power surge when turned on and fried both my screens? Fortunately after plugging my screen into a different strip (and thus also performing a hard power reset on the screen) the problem seems to have subsided.

Now for my actual question, is there a way I can protect my devices from the 3D printer? Could I use a power surge protector between the printer and the power strip? Or plug in the power strip into a power surge protector and then into another power strip with the printer attached to it as well?

  • 5
    Could be your display cable is wonky/bad or screens are defective. Would try to put the 3D printer on another house circuit with a different breaker. Sparks at a connection is a sign of a bad connection, not a power surge.
    – crip659
    Commented Nov 18, 2021 at 11:22
  • 5
    I doubt a surge. More likely is a drop in voltage when the 3D printer starts up. Put it on a different circuit. Commented Nov 18, 2021 at 13:41

1 Answer 1


I agree, this is not the millisecond sort of surge that surge protectors are designed to work with.

This is a power loss problem. I suspect a problem in the power strip or the receptacle is causing a high resistance connection. I would watch out for any plug connections getting warm, as that is serious and could start a fire.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.