2 years ago I installed a perimeter drain on the wet side of my house. It daylights at the road and works great. Last week, I installed an additional 30' leg. The new leg is inboard of the existing drain and runs parallel between it and the house. Construction is identical to the old drain: good pitch, lined w/ non-woven cloth, perf (holes on the bottom), #2 stone over top, then wrapped like a burrito and secured w/ landscape staples. It wasn't practical to daylight this leg at the road so it terminates into a catch basin. The basin connects to the existing drain. There have been several significant rains since install and no water flows. Zero. I'm stumped; it should be working. It's worth noting that the soil spread on top was wet so it is compacted. Water isn't infiltrating as well as I'd like, but the soil layer also isn't very deep.
Assuming everything is built correctly, water is simply not rising to the level of this drain. Possibly because the level is adequately controlled by flowing sideways into the existing drain, or it's otherwise happy to keep flowing down below the drain level (or across the surface) rather than accumulating and flowing into this pipe.