I'm replacing the bathroom vanity cabinet, sink and countertop, located between two walls. Picture below. I plan to cut the current p-trap arm, leaving enough of it sticking out of the cabinet to attach a coupling and connect to a new adjustable p-trap with slip joints.

what parts do I need? the piping is 1-1/4" ABS.

I presume a 1-1/4" to 1-1/4" coupling, a piece of 1-1/4" pipe, a 1-1/4 pivoting p-trap with slip joints. Will sink drain extension be needed, or goes directly into p-trap?

enter image description here

  • I'm guessing that the pipe is 1-1/2". I'm not sure anything smaller is legal.
    – isherwood
    Nov 5, 2021 at 1:20
  • 1
    A drain kit includes the tailpiece. Whether you need an extension is anyone's guess. Are you doing this on Mars where you won't have access to a hardware store? If so, go ahead and buy extra stuff. It's pretty cheap.
    – isherwood
    Nov 5, 2021 at 1:22
  • its 1-1/4" ABS in bathroom sinks, in canada where I am. Doing it on planet earth, but never done plumbing and want to make sure I get the right parts.
    – zigbeee
    Nov 5, 2021 at 1:34
  • @isherwood is correct. Buying extra stuff is cheaper than the gas to drive back to the store. On the other hand, you WILL be making more than one trip. Nov 5, 2021 at 4:42


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.