I'm living in the Northeast coasts, and I saw my exhaust fan from the ceiling is dropping water this morning. So this afternoon, I access my attic to see the inner roof and see a potentially bigger problem.

Please see the image below. My house roof shape is a "triangle". I saws there is black tape along the edges. But somewhere along the edge, I can see open-air, where I marked it with a red circle. Also, I saw a few drops of water in the pink diamond area, as marked on the picture.

What should I do now?

enter image description here

  • 2
    call a roofing company
    – jsotola
    Oct 29, 2021 at 19:19
  • 3
    Your ridge flashing has been damaged or deteriorated, as suggested, you need a roofer.
    – r13
    Oct 29, 2021 at 19:38
  • 3
    can you see it from the outside or safely get on the roof? It looks like your ridge vent is gone in that section.
    – rtaft
    Oct 29, 2021 at 19:39
  • It was very windy where I am in the NE US, so blowing the cap shingles off of the ridge vent is believable.
    – Tim B
    Oct 31, 2021 at 5:34

1 Answer 1


Credit to the collective in the comments: you need a roofer.

Given NE weather lately, they’re busy, so you might just engage one to temporarily tarp the area. That’ll give you breathing room to get 3 quotes and check references.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.