I planned on drywall installation in my bedroom but accidentally bought plasterboard. I applied joint compound before realizing. Can I salvage this by skim coating the walls? Can I sand afterwards? Thanks

  • 2
    Where are you located? Can you be specific about what it is you bought? Commented Oct 29, 2021 at 0:15
  • Providing a specific brand and type from the board itself (or a picture of the label at the store or a link to their website) will help a lot.
    – FreeMan
    Commented Oct 29, 2021 at 14:38

1 Answer 1


Plasterboard and drywall board are kind of the same thing. Do you mean you bought square edged boards instead of tapered edge boards?

If so, square edged boards need mesh tape over the joints (or joint tape if you've already done it) and then a two coat skimming plaster. And no, it's not normally sanded as this leaves a rough finish, not to mention a lot of dust.

Skimming plaster is designed to be finished 'from the trowel'.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.