Cadet Electric Baseboard heater safely hard-wires for 1500-Watt at 240-Volt or 1125 Watt at 208-Volt Thermostat controls up to 5280-Watt at 240-Volt or 2640-Watt at 120-Volt Easily replaces most line voltage wall-mounted thermostats Double pole (4-wire) thermostat with positive off position 22 Amp thermostat

  • thank you. I thought that was the thermostat I had to use, I haven't even purchased units yet. Is there a better route to take?
    – deborah
    Oct 24, 2021 at 7:46

1 Answer 1


Absolutely not. The 18/5 thermostat wire is intended for low voltage, either millivolt or 24-volt AC thermostats intended for use with gas furnaces or heat pumps.

With line voltage heaters like the Cadet, you normally run full-power house wiring (12/2 or 10/2) from the circuit breaker to the thermostat. And then, more 12/2 or 10/2 from the thermostat to the heater(s).

There are other ways to do it, but if you want to use a 4-wire thermostat or a smart line voltage thermostat, that's how you have to do it.

  • Wow, did you get that right instantly or not!? The OP could accomplish it two ways, either wire up a contactor, LV T-stat and transformer to power the T-stat, or get a line voltage t-stat that is programmable. They are not common, but available. Of course all of this would have to be properly housed and permanently accessible, which may be a practical challenge. Oct 24, 2021 at 6:29
  • @George yeah, I love my relays (I love 'em a lot more when they're at the panel and not in the bedroom, who wants to hear that?)... but I wanted to keep it simple. A branch to the thermostat would require at least /3 cable of the size of the mains feeds. Oct 24, 2021 at 6:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.