Our existing floor joists and decking are over an 8" concrete foundation wall. The new work pictured below extends the existing 2x4 frames for more insulation space and we want to secure the new sill plate and original flooring to the concrete slab for Seismic Zone D (this will also become a shear wall, but thats another story).
- What kind of concrete anchor should be used to tie the old joists as well as the new framing to the concrete?
- If you suggest bolting all the way through from the top of the new sill plate into the concrete, what kind of drill and bit should be used and how deep into the concrete should it go?
Pictured from top to bottom:
- New framing for additional insulation
- New sill plate above old decking
- 3/4" tongue-n-grove solid wood decking from 1951
- A 2x10" floor joist
- 2x8" (?) original sill plate laid horizontally (2" showing)
- 4" of concrete above the garage floor
- concrete garage floor