Last week, there was a catastrophic failure in the range. I'm fairly confident what happened was that the wiring was compromised, and (one of) the hot wires made contact with the inside of the oven, sending 50 amps through the whole inside of the oven. The short circuit lasted only a few seconds, and when it stopped, I didn't ask questions, I just bolted downstairs and threw the breaker (which was still "on"). It's possible the wire making contact broke away somehow. Overall it was terrifying and I'm glad my family's alive and we still have a home.
Is the range circuit ungrounded? I'm a little puzzled why this event didn't cause the breaker to shut the circuit off. I live in an old home that has a mixture of old and new wiring. The receptacle for the range plug is a 4 prong (including ground). Wouldn't the electrical short have sent current down the ground and thrown the breaker? Is it possible that the receptacle, even though it's 4 prong, is ungrounded? Our home is a mix of old wiring and new, but the run from the breaker to the range is very short and completely accessible from the unfinished basement. How can I tell if it's ungrounded?
Does a new oven require to be insulated with a bat of fiberglass? Our old push-in oven had a bat of fiberglass insulation. The new one does not. Is this a required addition? Or, in general, is it a good idea?
Can the range receptacle be mounted sideways? The replacement range fits differently than the old. The receptacle interferes with the oven, so that it can't back up fully. I'd like to revise the receptacle so that it's mounted transverse and the range can back up to the wall. Is there any issue doing this?