I wonder if someone could help me sort this issue out?

The water line to my refrigerator has no shutoff. I need to cap it, but it's setup so the threads of the waterline are connected to a nut on the copper piping - the water line is threaded into the nut on the copper line and tightened down. (see photo)

What can I buy to cap it off? I thought I could just buy a brass compression cap, but that's the wrong thing because there is nothing to screw it onto on the copper pipe. Also, I am not exactly sure what size I would need of whatever the solution is, so any guidance on that would be appreciated.enter image description here

1 Answer 1


There are caps available with internal threads, ans plugs with external threads, use whichever fits.

It looks like you have compression nuts on both sides of a pipe nipple so either remove the nipple and use a plug or retain the nipple and use a cap with thread sealing tape.

Hollow plugs plugs like these, can be used with the existing compression nut to cap the pipe. enter image description here

Alternatively a cap could be used to seal the end of the nipple

enter image description here

The presence of thread sealing tape indicate that the ferrule on the copper pipe is possibly damaged, now would be a good time to replace that.

Instead of a plug or cap you could fit a valve there, you may find that to be convenient in the future.,

  • Thank you. That should do the trick! I appreciate the thorough response! This is a huge help!
    – Eronc
    Commented Sep 12, 2021 at 13:16
  • 1
    Then accept the answer....
    – gnicko
    Commented Sep 13, 2021 at 22:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.