Home was built in Houston metro area in 1987. I replaced drywall in ceiling and haven't seen any examples of this specific ceiling texture. Other homes in the neighborhood also have it. I need to replicate this for an 8'x6' repair so I'm asking the pros if anyone knows how this was achieved. It looks like a 9" brush with cut-outs was used with joint compound and then applied in multiple triangular patterns. Is there a specific name for this texture pattern and more importantly, what was used to create it?

my ceiling texture

2 Answers 2


That looks like a "bagged" finish.


just applied in a pattern instead of over the whole surface.

  • I put a bag over it and attached three rubberbands (two outsides and middle) to secure it around the roller. I then put it in all-purpose joint compound/primer mix and "blopped" it on in the pattern of the ceiling (triangles). It turned out I did it too heavy and also the pattern didn't match because it was too dense as opposed to leaving just straight-lined stipples in trianglular patterns. I've Google'd the heck out of this and all I find are the basics to stomp/stipple/slap/knockdown/popcorn, etc. I'll admit that my pattern is ugly so I'm glad it's gone out of style but it's hard to match.
    – habrockc
    Sep 14, 2021 at 23:57

I would say try the side of a loofah that's had some strips cut randomly out of it. I used the end of one for a 3-circle pattern that was similar back in the day.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.