I am planning to build a deck to my backyard, and I'm using a soft wood - I guess it's spruce not sure / not a very high quality wood.
I am having hard time to decide on choosing the construction method and hoping I can get a suggestion here. In short I'm concerned of making a weak frame or having a too tall frame.
I feel like option 3 and 4 are my best bets, it feels strong enough and height-wise it is going to be acceptable for what I'm doing. I just couldn't decide which option to go with.
Let me list all my options my concerns regarding to them:
Note: I am planning to put 9 10cmx10cmx20cm legs under this frame.
Note2: Joist hangers are not an option in where I live, can't get them locally and couldn't find any shipping to Turkey for a reasonable price. (let me know if you know a seller in Turkey :)
Note3: Joists are 5cm X 10cm (2" by 4"), Stringer is 10cm X 10cm (4" by 4").
Note4: Deck size is 390cm X 290cm (12'9" x 9'6").
- Overall height is short enough that I can easily put the frame and the planks on them in my 15cm of skirts.
- I'm afraid it will be too weak.
- It will be plenty sturdy.
- It is too tall (20cm) and will not be hidden in my 15cm skirt all around the deck.
- Not sure how I can join 10X10 and 5X10 on top of each other.