Got this at a yard sale in a bin with mostly random fasteners. Its about 3" long.

It has a tip like a nail but a dipped-looking rubberized coating.

Any ideas what this could be for? Someone suggested a small awl but given the very small size of the "grip" (if that's what it is) that seems unlikely.

In the USA if that makes any difference.

enter image description here

  • 2
    why do you need to know this? ... some tools are useful for other than intended purposes
    – jsotola
    Sep 5, 2021 at 18:49
  • 6
    @jsotola mainly just for learning purposes / curiosity. I've done tons of DIY on my house in all areas, so I don't come across tools totally new to me very often. Sep 5, 2021 at 18:50
  • What is the diameter of the metal rod? It kind of looks like the tool you use to remove plastic sprinkler pipes that have been snapped off at the fitting, but the diameter looks too small.
    – longneck
    Sep 5, 2021 at 19:38
  • 1
    @longneck I have not measured, but it is very similar to a standard framing nail, if not slightly less. Sep 6, 2021 at 0:43
  • Eye pick, maybe?
    – Vikki
    Sep 6, 2021 at 18:31

5 Answers 5


From the Harbor Freight Hook Assortment (item #67587), it's a straight line "hanging hook." Photo below from the above mentioned web site:

storage hook assortment

  • 7
    @StayOnTarget actually it is quite clear now ... it is a padded nail for hanging things
    – jsotola
    Sep 6, 2021 at 2:04
  • 7
    the ladder shapes in the image are created when the plastic is heated and compressed, sealing closed the top and bottom finger slicing plastic.
    – fred_dot_u
    Sep 6, 2021 at 9:32
  • 4
    @criggie those are sonic welds in the package creating bonds between front and back of the package. Yours for easier package opening, not! Without them, the plastic would de-form and all the pieces would be found in a big lump at the bottom. Sep 6, 2021 at 17:05
  • 3
    @Conrado you gently walk the Plasti-Dip off it, then drive it, then file down where you mushroomed it, then wet the Plasti-Dip and slide it back on. Sep 6, 2021 at 17:11
  • 2
    You hammer it in at an angle and then you can hang things on it.
    – Valorum
    Sep 7, 2021 at 19:01

It's a scriber used for marking wood, metal, etc. for cutting or drilling.


Small pegs you can hammer into a board where you can hang things on, like a towel or your size 10 wrench


Hardened point - then a tile cutter.

  • 1
    You mean like, to score it? Why such a miniscule handle? Or is it meant to be mounted in something? Sep 5, 2021 at 18:29
  • @StayOnTarget bigger is not always better.
    – Solar Mike
    Sep 5, 2021 at 18:31
  • I can't argue with that in general. I guess this would be like holding a short pencil. Sep 5, 2021 at 18:31

That looks like a hand drill / hole maker. It is a type of awl (or, it could also be a bodkin for leatherworking or be a two-in-one as both) - thanks @StayOnTarget

It is used to facilitate screwing in things with your hands. (hooks, curtain hangers, etc). These are fairly easy to screw in, but it can be a lot of work to get the screw to engage. Punch or twist a rough hole with the tool first and then engage the screw.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.