I'm having an annoying issue with an outside water spigot. I was watering the yard the other day and kinked the hose so I could put on an attachment. Finished watering and when I went to turn off the spigot I noticed the wheel would not turn. It doesn't turn clockwise or counterclockwise. I turned off the water supply inside the house and tried to diagnose the issue. I removed the wheel, the nut/washer, and attempted to turn the stem but it will not turn either. I'm trying to determine how to fix this. Can I simply remove the sillcock and replace that or is that attached to the pipe that goes into the house, in which case I need to replace the whole thing? Hoping there is a quick fix before I attempt to replace the pipe and sillcock completely. enter image description here

  • I should add that it is stuck in the on position. So the only way to turn it off at this point is to do so at the shut off valve inside the house.
    – Jay
    Commented Sep 1, 2021 at 17:15
  • 1
    you can do a temporary fix with one of these ... duckduckgo.com/…
    – jsotola
    Commented Sep 1, 2021 at 17:19
  • These don't last forever. You might be better off just to remove and replace the whole thing. These connect inside the wall, so you'll have to get at it there. Some are screw-on and others are soldered fittings.
    – jwh20
    Commented Sep 1, 2021 at 17:29
  • 2
    What's on the other side of that brick? if it's inaccessible then one would hope that the plumber used a threaded connector. If it is threaded then it could just be difficult to turn due to hard water buildup. If this issue has you stumped then I would call in a plumber instead of making things worse; it sounds like you do not have the right tools, parts, nor knowledge to fix this when you inadvertently make the issue worse.
    – MonkeyZeus
    Commented Sep 1, 2021 at 18:14
  • 2
    Have you tried to unscrew the hex bushing that holds the packing material around the valve stem? Removing that may allow you to remove the stem and replace the packing and washer. Not positive it will work but it is a simple thing to try.
    – Gil
    Commented Sep 1, 2021 at 18:37

1 Answer 1


In a comment, you said, "I think the sillcock is attached to the pipe (all one piece) which is 12 inches long. Goes through the brick and I believe its threaded on the end" and that sounds like that's exactly what you want!

It's a "frost proof" spigot, where the actual valve is inside the house so it doesn't freeze up on you in the winter. The 12" of empty pipe protects you from flooding.

Since you know where it connects inside, it's very likely a simple job of unscrewing it from the inside (2 wrenches - one on the elbow under the sink to hold it steady, and one on the sillcock's pipe to turn it), removing it and replacing it with a new one.

It looks like a replacement will run you in the neighborhood of $40 USD. You can probably replace it yourself in about 30 minutes if you know what you're doing, so budget 2 hours, just to be on the safe side. (My rule of thumb, even after years of working on my own house.)

  • Thanks for the feedback. Yep I just got back from Home Depot to price out frost proof spigots w/ 12" pipe and it's around $45. So I'm going to use a shutoff valve for right now and then pick up the piece this weekend when I can give myself some time. Might be an easy job after all. Thank you!
    – Jay
    Commented Sep 1, 2021 at 21:34
  • You're welcome, @Jay. If you'll take a moment to take the tour, you'll note that the proper way to say "thanks" is to click the up arrow next to any and all answers that help you. Give it a few hours or even a day or two, then click the check mark next to the answer that helped you the most. That also helps others who may have the same problem find that their question has already been asked and has a good answer.
    – FreeMan
    Commented Sep 1, 2021 at 21:42
  • 1
    Before you go back to Home Depot, make note not only of the pipe length on the anti-siphon faucet, but also whether it's got a 1/2" or 3/4" NPT threaded male end.
    – DAS
    Commented Jan 30, 2022 at 3:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.