I'm looking for a replacement for the pictured 1950s internal door catch. I can't find one, and don't know what they're called. I've tried "gravity catch" and "teardrop catch" but those are not the same thing. Reverse image search isn't helping either.

Any ideas?

enter image description here

  • Might look nice, but I have a feeling that they might be not allowed now since a person inside could not open the door easily.
    – crip659
    Aug 26 at 9:51
  • Cast a new one is an option.
    – Solar Mike
    Aug 26 at 10:00

That is an antique cabinet door latch called a Hoosier Cabinet Latch. If you want a similar latch you could contact the House of Antiques Hardware at 888-223-2545 or at Van Dyke's Restorers, 1-800-237-8833 This is what I found when I Googled antique cabinet door latch. hope this helps.

  • Don't think the OP will be visiting House of Antiques in person...
    – Solar Mike
    Aug 26 at 12:58

So another option instead of casting a new one is to cut that worn part off, then drill and tap it to receive a new threaded bit cut to length.

Should work well.

  • Good idea, unfortunately the one I want to replace is broken beyond any repair (I posted that photo so you could see what it looks like)
    – aucuparia
    Aug 30 at 5:38
  • @aucuparia Answers are based on the evidence provided, can’t do more than that.
    – Solar Mike
    Aug 30 at 5:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.