A corner in my laundry room is sinking/rotted, the construction is tongue and groove with particle board on top. I suspect the rot probably goes into the tongue and groove planks.

How do I replace sections? The spacing on the support members looks like it's 4ft, will I need to cut the floor until I hit a support?

  • 1
    Perhaps a photo or two would help. I'm having trouble understanding your situation.
    – jwh20
    Aug 25, 2021 at 23:41

1 Answer 1


You really need to get in to it and see how damaged it really is. If its just the particle board (will disintegrate with water exposure unless sealed) then you can just cut the damaged section out and replace.

If its the tongue and groove planks that are damaged you have to replace between joists, you cant have a seam floating in the middle of the floor unsupported.

Some photos would help me make more recommendations.

  • I'm kind of terrified of this turning into a larger project than I am comfortable with. If it was a standard plywood floor I would have done it already Aug 26, 2021 at 1:48
  • @FourierFlux Maybe indicate in your original question what the "terror" is about removing T&G that's not there if you're pulling "standard plywood", as that seems to be the real crux of your question.
    – FreeMan
    Aug 26, 2021 at 15:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.