I noticed that one of my sprinkler heads seemed to be leaking so I dug it up. The head was screwed on to a black connector that was partially torn.

enter image description here

Once I remove the flap from the top, the remainder of the connector piece is going to be embedded in the pipe, making it impossible to screw on a new head. Is that connector likely to be screwed into the pipe or glued in? If screwed, how can I get it out?


Okay, so it turns out that "black connector piece" that I was referring to is called a riser and should be threaded. Seems like they break fairly often so they make a tool called a riser extractor that looks like this:

enter image description here

I also saw hacks where people gently tapped a knife blade into the riser opening until it grabbed the edges and then unscrewed it that way. One guy even heated the knife up so it melted the riser a bit (probably won't go that route).

Anyway, there you go.


I bought a riser extractor and it worked perfectly.

  • Push it down into the broken nipple to get a grip. Aug 22 at 20:03
  • Nicer than the way I used to remove plastic frost plugs. Hammer and screwdriver, and hack it to pieces.
    – crip659
    Aug 22 at 20:08
  • 1
    Yep, got one of those and that's the way to go. Good answer! + Aug 23 at 1:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.