What is this wall finishing?

It looks like a brick veneer, or wall paper; or is it perhaps a plaster?

If plaster, how would I attain this pattern?

I doubt it's painted brick, but I could be wrong.

enter image description here Seen at https://www.thespruce.com/living-room-accent-walls-4135943

  • 2
    Would say painted over brick. Difficult design for a plaster wall, and lack of colour differences for other guesses.
    – crip659
    Aug 20, 2021 at 19:23
  • 2
    Any join lines? Any repeated pattern? Otherwise looks like painted brick.
    – Solar Mike
    Aug 20, 2021 at 19:23
  • 1
  • 1
    @Kris If they had a few different roller designs, so pattern does not repeat, would be perfect for an answer. Did not know of.
    – crip659
    Aug 21, 2021 at 0:03
  • There is another method involving faux brick panels and joint compound. thesavvysparrow.com/diy-faux-brick-wall
    – Kris
    Aug 21, 2021 at 1:22

1 Answer 1


Sure looks like painted brick.

  • Pattern matches size/shape of typical bricks
  • The unevenness of the pattern points to a somewhat older brick wall.
  • The room may have been outside (e.g., an originally open porch) and then enclosed and/or extended from the existing house. Instead of adding a full layer of studs/drywall/etc., easier to just paint over to hide a lot of the imperfections.
  • If this were a veneer/"fake brick" wall, the pattern would almost certainly be much closer to "perfect".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.