I was looking at few videos on "how to screw in MDF". I found the one which I needeed. Unfortunately he didn't mention which drill bit he was using.

Here is the photo of it.

Drill bit for MDF

I am looking to buy it from Lowes/Homedepot. Anyone knows what is it called?

  • 2
    in most materials you can get similar results by using a bit larger than the screwhead and drilling over the hole until the scraped-away circle is just slightly smaller then the screw head. Tightening the screw will smoosh the last remaining material into place and leave a flush professional result. They are much cheaper at harbor fright, and the quality is fine for the occasional uses homeowners need.
    – dandavis
    Aug 19, 2021 at 18:34
  • Thanks. I didn't know about Harbor Freight. Just now looked and it is way cheaper than home Depot. Aug 19, 2021 at 19:43
  • 2
    @RakeshJuyal: just be careful, those low prices sometimes come with a serious cost. i.imgur.com/oAOR6gr.jpeg and i.imgur.com/V7tWNgq.jpeg Aug 19, 2021 at 23:06
  • "Harbor Fright" That's a funny typo, @dandavis!!!
    – FreeMan
    Aug 20, 2021 at 15:13
  • @whatsisname That's a good flow chart. Of course, I'd go directly from "Is this motorized" to "buy something else". I figure I'm buying a HF tool for a specific purpose - so long as it is functional for, and lasts the duration of, the task at hand, I'm happy. If I get additional use out of it, BONUS! That said, I've had some really good deals there on tools that have lasted quite a while.
    – FreeMan
    Aug 20, 2021 at 15:16

1 Answer 1


That bit is a countersinking bit.

enter image description here


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.