I'm evaluating a situation in a home I recently moved into.
A previous owner did some DIY and installed a switch in the wall of our kitchen pantry. The pantry is made of wood and the switch is housed in a plastic j-box that was stapled (many staples) from the inside of the box into the pantry cabinet. The switch is a dimmer that is wired correctly per the instructions I found online - it's fed by a hot (black) wire and another load (black) wire continues from the switch to the light. The neutral bypasses the switch and goes directly to the light. The switch is grounded.
The NM cable both running into the jbox and out of the jbox run along the interior walls of the pantry with intermittent stapling. (Nothing in conduits).
When the switch is on... With my non contact voltage sensor I pick up 70-1000V AC when I touch shelves in the pantry cabinet that are up to 1 foot away from the switch or nearest NM cable.
I have never observed a reading like this so far from a known voltage source, so it had me concerned.
Any thoughts? How is this possible? Nobody has ever been shocked by the switch or the cabinet and we've been in the home a couple of years...