I know that gray, UF-B outdoor 14/2 electrical cable can be used both outdoors and indoors for permanent installations in Michigan. Why isn't the outdoor cable ALWAYS used for ALL 15amp indoor wiring then?
The outdoor cable can do so many more things than the indoor.
Outdoor cable is: 25%-50% cheaper. (Wow!) Is highly resistant to acids, alkalis, corrosives, chemicals, lubricants, fungus, water, UV, and can be directly buried underground. Sheds, garages, barns, etc.
Both in/out door 100' reels are copper. 100' of the indoor weighs 6.1#. The outdoor weighs 6.5#.
I don't see the downside. Just the drastic lower price is enough to use it everywhere indoors and out. What am I missing? Why would the far better/safer/durable cable be so much cheaper... and NOT used everywhere 14/2 15amp is needed?
Update: 3 different DIY store employees didn't have an answer. But they found their manager that "knows all about wiring". He said you CAN use the outdoor wiring, indoors... but the building inspector would immediately raise a red flag due to the gray coloring... and give you a headache about it.
(I would think the inspector would only say "wow, you guys used the far better product than needed. Excellent job.")