The inner side of an exterior wall in my house has, behind the plasterboard, a kind of masonry which I'd like to identify. I attach pictures. It looks like concrete but it's quite easy to drill: I can very easily drill it with a 2mm wood/metal drill bit in a HAND (i.e., not electric) drill. This material is at least 5cm thick (maybe more), as inferred from the hole I drilled.

This is a UK house built in the '70s (probably second half). The material is definitely not plasterboard (aka drywall).

So, what's the name of that substance? Is it safe to hang heavy stuff (e.g., a radiator) to it using rawlplugs?




  • 2
    where are you located and how old is this house?
    – d.george
    Commented Jul 29, 2021 at 10:30
  • 1
    From these relatively poor photos, it looks like concrete to me,
    – jwh20
    Commented Jul 29, 2021 at 11:10
  • @d.george: edited the post to clarify, thanks
    – anon
    Commented Jul 29, 2021 at 12:24
  • It looks like there is some sort of bracket fastened to the wall. What was that used for? Is it sturdy and can it be removed? If so that should give you a clue as to how to hang stuff on this wall. If it's an exterior wall it has to be sturdy enough to hang stuff on. Just need to figure out how. Commented Jul 29, 2021 at 13:39
  • @PlatinumGoose: no, that thing is screwed to the plasterboard (drywall) layer above the masonry one.
    – anon
    Commented Jul 29, 2021 at 14:07

1 Answer 1


Reads like plaster/gypsum cement, if it drills that easily.

Pictures offer no insight.

Weight-bearing loading is likely to be dubious.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.