(Note: as per help center this is not a shopping assistance/product recommendation question, but rather materials/best practices/standards question)
Missus and I have decided we need a new door for our apartment (an owned apartment, similar to a "condo" in North American vernacular). And by that I mean the external door that leads to the shared stairwell. But competition is fierce, guidelines are few, salesmen are shifty, and I'm having trouble figuring out what I want and how to find it.
Note about my region: I'm from Latvia, we're in the EU.
Here are my thoughts:
- The shared stairwell already has an electronic code lock and a heavy steel door installed, so random passing thieves have a hard time getting in. But this won't be much of an issue with a planned heist, since you can just sit nearby in a car and observe the lock until you see someone typing in their code. There is no video surveillance. So if someone decides to target our apartment for a burglary, it won't hold them back.
- Almost everyone else in our stairwell have installed metal doors from various makers. If I don't want to stand out, I should install a metal door as well. However each door is different anyway, so it's not such a big deal.
- To prevent a burglar, the door should be difficult to open. It should be resistant to physical attacks.
- The lock however does not matter so much, I think, because AFAIK burglars rarely try to pick locks. That requires either a lot of skill, or a lot of time, and burglars rarely have either. Those who have enough skill usually make much better money with it than they could by just breaking into random apartments.
- The true guardian of a property is supposedly an alarm system which summons burly fellows from a security firm. (I plan on installing one after the door has been exchanged.) So the door should slow the burglar down enough to trigger the alarm and allow for reinforcements to arrive, before they get in.
- But on the other hand, if there is some emergency like a fire, I'd want the door to yield easily to the fireman's axe/angle grinder/whatever.
So... the door should be strong, but not too strong...
What I want to know - what should I look for when searching for the ideal door?
- Should I go for metal or wood?
- Are there any relevant standards/certificates I should pay attention to?
- Are there any properties of the door I should pay attention to (like what kind of metal its made of and what the thickness of it is)?
- Is my logic above sound, or have I made a mistake?
- Anything else?