This has been in my garage for a while, but I have no ideas what it is. Anyone out there know?""

1 Answer 1


It is a gear puller. A two and and three arm, use to pull gears/bearings off off shafts/holes. Use the bolts to connect a pair of flats to the centre piece to the arms. The long screw goes in the centre hole, place it against centre of a shaft, the arms go to outside of gear and you turn the screw to remove gear from shaft.

  • Most certainly a gear-pulling set. I have a set that looks almost identical to that.
    – Tonny
    Commented Jul 26, 2021 at 10:12
  • 5
    Indeed a gear puller, but often not the best one to use. A "harmonic balancer" type works better in most cases, such as flywheel removal. It uses bolts to make a positive connection. The arms on the type shown above can slip off easily, or even break. However, it does work well for things like removing boat steering wheels.
    – Jason
    Commented Jul 26, 2021 at 13:40
  • 2
    @Jason Quite a few different types. Each type has best design use/size. Type above usually best for accessible gears without drilled/tapped holes.
    – crip659
    Commented Jul 26, 2021 at 14:15
  • 4
    @nick012000 Just do an image search for "gear puller" and you'll get thousands of pictures: images.app.goo.gl/H5j4f3mXekcC7mnu5
    – Theodore
    Commented Jul 26, 2021 at 17:26
  • 1
    It's the sort of tool for which you cannot find a good substitute. So if you ever potentially want to pull something off a shaft without twisting or hammering, this is the tool. Can you tell I've needed one and not had one?
    – Criggie
    Commented Jul 27, 2021 at 4:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.