Here is a picture of the screw that holds the caddy of my laptop's SSD in place.

enter image description here

Can anyone tell me what type of screw that is? Is that a stripped Phillips head screw? Or is it something else?

I tried to look for various types of screw head, but couldn't find one that matches.

enter image description here

I'm planning to upgrade my laptop's SSD, so I need to find a way to remove that screw. I tried with a Phillips head screw driver, but the screw driver couldn't find a grip.

  • 4
    I think the term here is what this screw was. It is now damaged and you will need to cut a slot with a dremel or similar and use a flat blade screwdriver - if you ate lucky.
    – Solar Mike
    Jul 24, 2021 at 6:39
  • I never touched the screw until today. In that case, the only logical conclusion here is that the computer "technician" screwed (pun intended) up when i brought my computer to him a few years ago.
    – Anthony
    Jul 24, 2021 at 7:11
  • computers are normally #1 Phillips AKA "PH1" if you use the wrong size of Philips on such a shallow screw head it will not grip well.
    – Jasen
    Jul 24, 2021 at 8:25
  • Seeing it is on a laptop, you might be able to use a high strength glue/epoxy to attach a small nut or something on top of screw. Be very careful not to glue screw to case.
    – crip659
    Jul 24, 2021 at 13:54
  • 1
    Computers are usually #2 Phillips. Only the smallest of screws are #1. This confusion is often what leads to this situation.
    – isherwood
    Jul 27, 2021 at 18:51

3 Answers 3


Abused is the kind of screw that IS.

Could have been any of Philips, JIS (looks like Phillips but the angles are different - tend to strip easily if Phillips rather than JIS driver used on them), or Pozi-Drive. Has definitely had the wrong type and/or size of driver used (rather aggressively) on it.

If you can get a grip on the outside of it with locking pliers (Vise-Grip® or similar) that's usually the quickest and cleanest way out of this problem (not great to grind slots around your delicate electronics.)

  • Could the right size torx be effective as a screw extractor? Jul 24, 2021 at 13:00
  • 1
    @JimStewart I doubt it. The Torx flutes won't be able to grip because the end of a Torx bit is flat, and won't enter the abused recess in the damaged screw head. Jul 24, 2021 at 15:05
  • 2
    Torx is a 6 point, that's a 4 point. A Roberson (square drive) would stand a better chance, but very unlikely at that size, and not the job they are designed to do. A nice sharp unworn Phillips of the correct size is the best bet for grabbing it to unscrew with a screwdriver bit, applied with a lot of pressure to keep it from jumping out.
    – Ecnerwal
    Jul 25, 2021 at 12:21

I've successfully used 'damaged screw extractors' in instances like this.
I can't tell the size of the screw from the pic but it looks small. There are extractors that can do the job but it may require drilling a small hole in the center of the screw and then using a reverse threaded extractor. It's also possible that the right size extractor might remove it without drilling. You won't know until you try it.
This is what they look like: enter image description here


The screw head looks like it is raised slightly with a beveled edge. Try a small sharp pair of diagonal cutters, pointing straight down and pinch the beveled edge. Push down with the cutters as you turn the screw head. It may take a few tries until you get the cutter points to grab sucessfully.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.