I am installing a 100 AMP temporary construction service panel. The utility requires it to be within 5 ft. of the transformer pad. The connectors run from the meter base into a 24" deep trench and then to within 24" of the pad. (a) What wire size do I need for 100A - the utility is being coy and says it is the responsibility of the electrician (me), but my research says #2 AWG (b) Do the cables need to run through conduit?

  • Is your panel a box-on-a-stick(4x4 post), or a pedestal with a cable-chase built into it (like a RV pedestal)? Jul 23, 2021 at 23:12
  • Since it doesn't serve a residence, you'll need #1 aluminum. However if your main breaker is smaller, you may get away with smaller wire. Stay in aluminum. Jul 24, 2021 at 18:56
  • My panel is a 100 temp service panel on a 4x4 post. It has (2) 30A - 120V breakers and outlets and a 30A RV outlet. It is meant only for power for saws, lights, etc,. during construction. #2 AWG Aluminum seems to be the best choice.
    – AKG
    Jul 26, 2021 at 1:36


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.