I'm looking for some feedback on my planned well water filtration system. I tried to be as detailed as possible without writing a wall of text. Any feedback is highly appreciated!
- 4 bedroom / 2 bathroom / 1 2 person whirlpool/jacuzzi/jetted tub
- Used as a short term rental (AirBnB) so will occasionally have 10+ people for 2-5 days in a row.
- Well ran dry July of last year (2020), was fracked and has been performing well since.
- Culligan 10" x 2.5" filter housing
- Currently use Culligan standard duty 10 micron string wound sediment filters
- Water has a lot of dissolved iron, it comes out clear but after sitting for a while it stains toilet bowl and tub.
- The string wound filter has no rubber seals on top or bottom so it let's through sediment from time to time.
- The big one: during excessive water use (filling jacuzzi & multiple showers within a short period of time) the water level in the well drops - a lot of sediment and brown water comes up, the filter let's through a bunch of the sediment and no longer filters out the brown color. The water will eventually clear up, however, the damage is already done (clogged faucet aerators, shower heads, stained toilets, etc).
- I'm essentially looking to upgrade my filtration system to what this guy did on youtube: https://youtu.be/0_F_xUKHwBQ, however, I'm trying to figure out the specific micron sizes for each stage for normal filtration and to handle the occasional high sediment events as described above (without clogging up the whole system). The first 2 filters would be spin downs - to collect any of the really big stuff and then dual stage filters to filter out what remains.
Which of these is a better filter stack for this size sediment (keeping in mind, there's not a ton of it - unless people overuse the water which can happen once a month or less). Or would you suggest a better filter stack?
200 micron spin down > 100 micron spin down > 50 micron polypropylene > 5 micron polypropylene
200 micron spin down > 100 micron spin down > 50 micron polypropylene > 25-1 micron gradient polypropylene
100 micron spin down > 50 micron spin down > 25 micron polypropylene > 5 micron gradient polypropylene
A few additional questions:
Does it make sense to install a shut off ball valve, spigot and pressure gauge between each filter?
My water lines are 3/4" - does it make sense to use 1" pipe to plumb the filtration system so I'm not losing pressure due to inside diameter of pex?
Thank you in advance!