I notice that window screens often have four screws, located toward each corner of the screen on the vertical portion of the frame. What's the purpose of these screws? Are they used to adjust the width of the window frame slightly? The reason I ask is because my window screen does not stay up, and I am wondering how I might fix that. Note, I have also other window screens without these screws.

My window screen

  • Be careful removing the screen, it will tend to bend and break where the screws are. Jul 10, 2021 at 8:25

1 Answer 1


I have those on my screen windows and they actually screw into the frame to secure the screen. Do you have holes in the frame behind those screws?

  • No, the screen has a clean rail to slide up and down in. I see, the screws are for situations where you don't want others, from the outside for instance, to move the screen.
    – bernie
    Jul 9, 2021 at 15:48
  • 1
    Even without a hole for the screw to go into, @bernie, you could still use that screw by snugging it up against the frame. That should help hold it in place, though it wouldn't be as secure as if there were a hole for the screw to go into. If this is just a "nuisance" level problem, that may well take care of it.
    – FreeMan
    Jul 9, 2021 at 15:59
  • That's a good idea, although upon trying, I find the screws to be seemingly stuck.
    – bernie
    Jul 9, 2021 at 16:17
  • 1
    I don't think the screw serving any purpose other than convenience to move the screen. It is there wasn't by design, but an add-on.
    – r13
    Jul 9, 2021 at 17:32
  • 1
    I agree with @r13, those do not appear to be original equipment. They were installed either as a means to lift/remove the screen, or as a retainer of some sort. That screw is stuck because of frame corrosion around it, which is visible in the picture. Jul 9, 2021 at 18:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.