I live in a house with a drain in the basement well it wasn't installed correctly, it was raised above the cement floor. So I decided I'd fix it and I did. I Broke away the the crumbling cement removed the drain then reinstalled it using self leveling cement Sealant for concrete. Well a bunch of it seeped down the drain not completely plugging the drain but close. QUESTION: How can I get the cured sealant out short of destroying the concrete floor?

  • I suggest contacting the manufacturer, there might be something that might soften or dissolve it.
    – Gil
    Commented Jun 28, 2021 at 0:38
  • Maybe the drain was for a future toilet and it was raised assuming a sub-floor would be installed. I would call a professional plumber and confess your sins. Those guys have seen it all and can do amazing things. Commented Jun 28, 2021 at 4:44
  • Yr gonna need a drill bit the diameter of your drain pipe, mounted on a flex cable. I rather doubt there exists a solvent for the cured stuff. Commented Jun 28, 2021 at 18:35

1 Answer 1


Self leveling cement is not the toughest stuff and it will probably chip out without much trouble. I would try smacking it with a punch, not hard enough to break the pipe if plastic but if plastic I would expect the compound to break loose fairly easily. When sealing pipes in concrete I use hydraulic cement it takes a little more work than self leveling compound.

When punching the stuff in the pipe try to pull out all the big chunks with a shop vac or by hand. I have flushed small amounts down the drain but you take a chance of it plugging up further down.

  • Thank you all for your input it's really appreciated. No the drain is in the basement laundry room so not a toilet fixture. Self leveling cement seal doesn't cure hard it stays rubbery..
    – M.R.C
    Commented Sep 28, 2021 at 5:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.