I'm shopping for a combination vent fan/light for a bathroom, and some of the ones I've found state this:

UL Listed for use over bathtubs and showers when connected to a GFCI protected branch circuit. 7 1/8" high housing, 4" round duct connector. Not for use over cooking surfaces. U.L. rated. If placed over bath or showers must be installed on a UFCL brand circuit.

What exactly is a "UFCL brand circuit"? I'm quite familiar with a GFCI protected circuit - is that just another term for the same thing?


3 Answers 3


My guess is that it stands for Uniform Fire Code Listed and means that all components in the circuit have been tested to conform to the Uniform Fire Code, i.e. NFPA 1. (I'm extrapolating from a UL or cULus listing meaning that a product has been tested to the appropriate UL standard.) Since the National Electrical Code is part of the NFPA standards, that would imply that the circuit must meet requirements for a bathroom circuit, i.e. GFCI protection.

They would be called out separately in their literature because UL and the NFPA are separate, independent, organizations.


I'm pretty sure that this term is a result of a computer translation error. A quick Google search turns up several iterations of this which are essentially copies of each other, or copies from a really poor translation. One of the sites which I found, that described Nutone fan installation on a UFCL brand circuit, also said that a particular fan was "Rated 70 cubic little legs per few minutes". It also explained that a fan had a "Specially styled polymeric freakout blade" and "Includes junction parcel with regard to focused wiring". It all points to simply another company that didn't think it was important to hire a native English speaker to translate. Too bad this copied even to Amazon.

Go with the GFCI protected branch wiring and you won't have to worry about how to "operate the humidity" in your "bath space".

PS, after reading the entire page, I think that "freakout" means "impeller".

  • 3
    The "freakout blade" obviously initiates the disco ball feature.
    – Tester101
    Nov 22, 2011 at 20:25

Its gotta be a GFCI. I can't find anything stating what this means. The only reference I see are other lights / fans that required that.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.