I just moved into a new house. We had 5 ceiling fan rough-ins done (2 light switches for the rough-in). So, the rough-in has 4 wires (grounding, white, black, red).
I've successfully installed two fans. In one room; however, we just can't get the fan working and I think it's the rough-in/switch. I triple checked the wiring of the fan, it was all done correctly. I also tried hooking up an LED light to the wiring. The light does not turn on or off when I use the switch. I tested the LED light on two other rough-ins and the light DOES work...Just not on this rough-in.
I have a cheap voltage detector. When I held it up to the black and red wires and had my wife flip the switch, the voltage detector DID go on and off, which is confusing me because that means the switches are working in feeding power to the wires, though I am not sure how much.
Does anyone know how I can troubleshoot the problem here? Even the LED light not working makes me think that it is something with how the builder did the wiring. I am not sure where to go from here.