I want to insert a wall oven in this cabinet and the gas line and gas regulator are in the way. How can I move it closer to the ceiling ? What cable and connector should I get ?

Thank you.

Quick Update :

I was able to move the regulator with the help of a handy man (See last picture). It's all good now. I will access the shut off valve from the room behind to respect the building code. And now I can slide my electric wall oven !

Thanks everyone for the help!!

underside of counter top range

counter top range showing empty cabinet space beneath

another perspective of underside of counter top range

enter image description here

  • can you install the elbow facing upwards or install the regulator without the elbow?
    – Jasen
    Jun 16, 2021 at 22:13
  • It looks like you don’t have any space can it be recessed in the wall? Usually regulators can not be enclosed but can be in small alcoves in the wall, hard to tell if there are any other options.
    – Ed Beal
    Jun 16, 2021 at 22:15
  • gas is the least diy service, often illegal's to touch except with licensed plumbers. Considering the complications you face, might want to "outsource" this one to a pro.
    – dandavis
    Jun 17, 2021 at 18:45
  • @Jasen, I tried to lift the elbow a bit but it's not enough. Also It seems there may not have enough space for the regulator without the elbow.
    – Lou
    Jun 17, 2021 at 22:29
  • @EdBeal I added more pictures. I don't think I have much option here. Perhaps access it from the room behind, or run everything under the cabinet ?
    – Lou
    Jun 17, 2021 at 22:31

1 Answer 1


In my mind installation of a wall oven is a "permanent" kind of thing. There is a shutoff valve in the hole in the wall; permanently installing a wall oven in this cabinet space will render that valve inaccessible. That's "Not Good" -- you may need to relocate the valve so that it remains accessible after the new oven is installed. When you find a good place for the shutoff valve you may also find there's room for the regulator to be installed there rather than here.

Depending on what's on the other side of this wall it might be reasonable to cut a new access hole on that side. The hole could be covered with a removable "plumbing access panel" to make it look a little better. Providing access to the valve in this way eliminates the need to move the valve.

Edit after addition of photos from different perspective:

Now seeing that you're thinking of a wall oven beneath a cooktop... have you considered cutting out the cabinet entirely and using a slide-in range? That would be pretty easy if you can get one in a width that fits!

It looks like you have another cabinet to the right of the one in question. I'd consider extending the hard gas pipe into there, put a shutoff valve in that space, then take the flex appliance connector back into the first cabinet. Or cut an access hole between the two cabinets and position the shutoff valve(s) in the left cabinet where they can be reached through the access hole. Probably do 2x valves and connector so that the cooktop and oven are valved separately.

Either way, install the regulator somewhere along the way wherever it's convenient. Ensure the regulator has enough capacity for the two appliances or get another regulator.

  • Thx a lot Greg. I didn't think about the valve not being accessible indeed. That's a bummer. Behind the wall is the bedroom. I may be able to do smth. Let me see. I gonna upload more pictures tonight.
    – Lou
    Jun 17, 2021 at 15:42
  • Pictures added!
    – Lou
    Jun 17, 2021 at 22:27
  • Thx @Greg! I thought about the slide-in range but opted it out : I will have to cut my beautiful countertop but also cut the bottom of the cabinet and redo the joint with caulk. I am too lazy to do all of that. Also, I like the design of my stove and my countertop and don't really want to change it. Btw, I am going for an electric wall oven that goes for $450. Would be efficient financially and esthetically. So no need to split the gas. Gas will stay connected only to the stove. Oven will be plugged to the electrical outlet :-D
    – Lou
    Jun 19, 2021 at 14:40
  • Do you mean the 20A duplex? I find it hard to believe you can get a really good oven running off just 20A 120V. That's toaster oven territory... Jul 8, 2021 at 3:01
  • @manassehkatz-Moving2Codidact A small steam or convection oven, maybe? I use convection bake in my over-the-range convection/microwave oven for baking more often than I use the full-size 30" slide-in oven; it gets along fine on the 20A/120V.. even if it is only slightly more than just a fancy built-in toaster oven. :-)
    – Greg Hill
    Jul 8, 2021 at 3:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.