I have been replacing irrigation lines, switching from buried black poly lines to buried PVC pipes.
When I open Zone 1 (for sprinklers), the nothing happens. When I open Zones 2-5, then Zone 1 turns on. It seems like Zone 1 is "inverted." It seems like it is on by default on and only turns off when I activate Zone 1.
- I have to turn the solenoid to "off" for it to turn on manually, and "on" for the valve to turn off.
- When I manually turn on my master valve with no zones active, Zone 1 starts spraying.
After troubleshooting step 11 (below), when I turn on Zone 1, the sprinklers come up for a few seconds and then the line "kicks" and the sprinkler heads go down. It doesn't go back down with any other zone.
Is there a troubleshooting step I'm missing or something structurally wrong with my layout (9see below)?
- I verified that the wiring is hooked up properly
- When I turn on Zone 1, I see that the solenoid plunger retracts
- The Zone 1 solenoid does not turn on when I activate Zone 2
- I have an unwired zone (Zone 6), Zone 1 turns on if I activate Zone 6. [This makes me think its "always on" and the Mater Valve is masking that issue]
- I switched the solenoids for Zone 1 and Zone 2, no change
- I replaced the solenoid for Zone 1, no change
- I switched the bonnet/diaphragm for Zone 1 and 2, no change
- I replaced the diaphragm with a new one for Zone 1, no change.
- I opened the master valve manually and then opened Zone 1 manually (I have to turn it to "off" to get it to turn on and turn it to "off" to get it back on) and saw it turn on
- If I unscrew the solenoid enough, then it stops turning on at all times.
- I set the Master Valve to open 1 second before any of the other valves to build up pressure
Other Background Info:
Previous Layout (which worked)
4 Valves, Zone1/Zone2 were the first valves in the manifold.
I have these zones distributed between 2 valve boxes.
- Master Valve -> Flow Meter -> Tee that splits the irrigation supply line for the 2 boxes. Box 2 is decently far away (~60-100ft) from this tee.
- Box 1: Zones 3-5
- Box 2: Zone 1-2
If I laid it all out flat, the valve for zone 1 would be the last valve in the system, the only thing past it is a small piece of capped off PVC.
I replaced most of the PVC but I did not re-lay the sprinkler lines. Zones 1-2 were left in the ground and I just connected the new valves to the existing pipes.
- Lawn 1: Connects to sprinklers
- Lawn 2: Connects to sprinklers
- Bushes: Connects to a pressure reducer then "spider valves"/drip tubing
- Trees: Connects to a pressure reducer then "spider valves"/drip tubing
- Garden: Connects to a pressure reducer then "spider valves"/drip tubing
Valves: Hunter PGV 1" Valves (RTL0502PGV101G)
Controller: Hunter Pro-HC Wi-Fi controller (PHC-600)