I recovered a bunch of unfaced insulation from various places in a building and would like to re-use them, but one would traditionally use paper faced insulation for many of the situations where I am going to install insulation. Is there a way to get only the insulation paper? What should I look for when searching for this material?


1 Answer 1


No, cover it with plastic. Read about vapor barriers and whether or not you actually need one https://www.certainteed.com/insulation/resources/do-i-need-vapor-barrier/

You will notice that paper-faced insulation is not purely paper but it has a very thin layer of tar.

It serves two purposes:

  1. Make the insulation stick to it so that it's one cohesive product
  2. Act as a moisture barrier

Since there's no practical reason to recreate purpose #1 you only have to replicate purpose #2 and plastic wrap is the proper way.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.