I need to attach some kind of tee diverter / valve to my shower. It would look something like this:

enter image description here

This thing will have 2 outlets. My usual shower head will go on one of the outlets, and the other outlet will have this tube:

Sioux Chief - 900-01163C00201 - 42143620 - VINYL TUBE 3/8 ID X 1/2 OD (1/16 WALL) CLEAR 20FT COIL

Tube details:

  • Internal diameter: 3/8"
  • External diameter: 1/2"
  • material: transparent vinyl (easily bendable material)

Pictures of the tube:

enter image description here

enter image description here

While there are plenty tees / diverters available for attaching a hand-shower, I couldn't find anything for my specific tube. So, I'm going to need a couple of adapters. So I'm thinking:

  1. a regular hand-shower tee / diverter attachment (1/2" female threaded x two 1/2" males threaded like in first pic).
  2. and additionally a 1/2" female threaded x 3/8" hose barb. (Still haven't found this one though.)

If you have suggestions / advice / warnings about how to connect the tube to the shower (in a way that the shower continues to function on demand), I'd appreciate anything.

  • 1
    Hose barb fittings are very common in homebrewing and can be found in most hardware stores (midwest US, anyway). Commented Jun 3, 2021 at 20:47
  • 1
    Seems like you have it all figured out -- is this just a shopping question? Female-threaded adapters to hose barb seem to be uncommon. So use one with a male thread and add a threaded coupler.
    – Greg Hill
    Commented Jun 3, 2021 at 21:21
  • @GregHill Thank you. Exactly the kind of advice I was looking for because I haven't actually checked to see if the things I'm planning to use are actually available for sale. Commented Jun 3, 2021 at 21:55
  • 1
    By the way , the diverter will not shut of tightly , there will always be a slow drip while the water is on . I was told at Home Depot that is a legal requirement. Commented Jun 3, 2021 at 23:58
  • @blacksmith37 Very interesting, thanks. Commented Jun 4, 2021 at 19:29

1 Answer 1


A 1/2" FIP x 3/8" barb is a very common fitting and should be available at any decent plumbing shop or even from the ubiquitous online seller with free shipping: Anderson Metals - 57002-0608 Brass Hose Fitting, Connector, 3/8" Barb x 1/2" Female Pipe

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.