In most (American) hotels that I've been to, I couldn't accidentally lose something under the bed, because the space between the floor and the frame is protected by boards or panels.

I'd like to get a set of those for home. Does anyone know what they're called? Can they be bought alone, or do they only come as part of the bed frame?

EDIT: In response to the first two answers: the ones I saw are not decorative; in fact, they're recessed to the point that you might never see them unless you bend down.


3 Answers 3


It's called a "plinth".

Usually the ones in hotels are not covering the bed or attached to the bed, they ARE the bed, ie there's just a wooden box upon which the mattress rests.

If you can buy one of these separately to wrap around an existing bed frame, I don't think so, but it would probably cost at least as much as a low-end bed designed this way, and would not look as good or fit as nicely in the space.

Edit: to contrast with the other answer showing good add-on ways to do it, the ones in hotels are not like Divan beds, they are like this: enter image description here enter image description here

  • This is a good option for a box & mattress type bed. The weight will provide a good seal with the floor to prevent dust etc... but for the inevitable cleaning you have to lift the box & mattress which is a pain. The skirting in the "other" add-on answer won't seal as well, but access for cleaning is likely easier. Something for the OP to consider.
    – P2000
    Jun 4, 2021 at 19:35
  • I think you're right, although the ones I've found online are usually called a "bed base'. (I get different, decorative items when I search for "plinth". Jun 5, 2021 at 3:33

I don't know if there is a special name for this type of bed frame, but it is usually purchased as a full set of bedding (bed frame + box spring + mattress).

Edit: Divan Bed (per Snow's comment)

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

  • 1
    Here in the UK, these are called "divan beds". Not sure if there's an equivalent term in the USA.
    – user128669
    Jun 3, 2021 at 12:06
  • Another option in the US is often called a pedestal bed. This is a wooden bed frame that includes drawers under the bed for additional storage.
    – DoxyLover
    Jun 3, 2021 at 17:05
  • The pedestal bed with drawers is called a captains bed frame.
    – Ed Beal
    Jun 3, 2021 at 18:50

You can build a "bed skirt" with a harder material behind the fabric.

enter image description here

Image https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/346917977531570474/

Or purchase a "bed wrap", which is a stiffened fabric that is wrapped around the bed and gripped to the bed with straps at the bed's corners between the frame and mattress

enter image description here

Image https://standardtextilehome.com/products/circa-bed-wrap

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.