I'm fixing a broken rib on a patio umbrella. I have a 1/2" square zinc-plated steel rod I'd like to insert in the broken rib. The rib itself is a 1/2" hollow square, so I need to grind the rod down a bit to fit inside.

Is this something I could do with a dremel? If so what type of head?

  • Would probably want a grinding disk/wheel, instead of a round or cone shape. Depending on length you might want an angle grinder or bench grinder. A bench grinder will probably give better consistent finish size. With zinc a face mask might be useful, eye protection is a must have.
    – crip659
    Jun 1 at 15:06

No, not in less than a month. Use a bench grinder, angle grinder , belt grinder , etc. ,anything except a Dremel. Because it is only 12" long , it could probably be done manually with coarse rasp or bastard files.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.