Can someone please tell me what's the name of the metal wrap in the first pic? It wraps the top of the wall on my roof top. My roof has a rubber layer on it and it goes up to inside the wall. On top of the wall, it is the metal wrap. It is old and cracks open, which causes leaks in my apartment. What's the name of this metal wrap if I need to replace it? How much normally does the material cost (per square, unit, etc.)? Thanks so much!


enter image description here

enter image description here

  • 2
    Generically, that's flashing. There might be an additional term that escapes me at the moment to describe it's precise function here at the top of the wall, or parapet. Apartment you rent, it's the landlord's problem - call them, get it fixed. Apartment you own, might be your problem, might be a matter for the owner's association as something that affects the whole building, not just your apartment. Depends on the terms of ownership.
    – Ecnerwal
    May 29, 2021 at 21:36
  • Wall cap perhaps
    – Kris
    May 29, 2021 at 21:50
  • Looks to me like the flashing is copper, though hard to tell for sure, and the problem is at the seams. If it is copper, someone should be able to re-solder the joints. But, I think it's the apartment building owner's responsibility to correct.
    – SteveSh
    May 29, 2021 at 21:54
  • @Ecnerwal as per her other question today, she is the landlord/owner of the building. Roof leaks can be difficult to find the right spot where the water is coming in. What looks like the place, might just be nearby the leak.
    – crip659
    May 29, 2021 at 21:55
  • The wet spot may even be distanst from the leak if there is steel channel involved in the roof structure.
    – Jasen
    May 30, 2021 at 0:04

2 Answers 2


Parapet cap, or parapet wall cap. Cost would depend on material choice and dimensions as it's likely something custom made.


combining Kris and Ecnerwal's answer that's a "cap flashing" cost is off topic.

Usually these are made to order at sheet-metal shop (ask at a plumbers supplier) when you go to place an order (with a drawing and dimensions) they will tell you the cost.

It may be that the incorrect method has been used to make this connection and that a join capable of moving is needed here. It looks intact if it's not corroded, possibly only the join needs to be replaced with an expansion joint.

  • Thanks Jasen! Someone used solar seal on those joints a few days ago. But, it is still leaking. I guess if we can't find the cause of the leaks, we will have to replace the whole cap flashing.
    – Carrie
    May 30, 2021 at 14:51
  • 2
    My suspicion is that you need a real roofer to deal with this. Faulty flashing is certainly a thing, but noticeable leakage suggests that the roof membrane is compromised. May 30, 2021 at 15:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.