Pictured is a broken valve on a pipe that is part of a pool heating system. The pipe sends water to a solar heater on the roof. We bought the house its in its current state but I assume the handle was broken off and the valve seems to be stuck closed. Being totally new to this I'm wondering:

  1. Is there anyway to fix this without replacing the valve?
  2. What kind of valve do I replace this with? A combined ball and check valve?
  3. Does replacing it means cutting out the broken valve? enter image description here
  • In the meantime, a Cresent™ type, smooth-jawed adjustable wrench looks like it would operate the valve. – FreeMan May 24 at 16:03

Those look like compression fittings. You should be able to unscrew them: Make note of which way the compression rings (O-rings) are seated (if there are any).

You should be able to buy a replacement. Here's a similar one:

  • "unions" not compression rings. but otherwise yes. – Jasen May 24 at 4:41
  • Are "unions" what they call the rings that get slightly squished between the two pieces to get a water tight seal? – Steve Wellens May 24 at 4:45
  • "O rings" are the seal, union is the system of the loose ring that screws onto the fixed bibb clamping the flange and the bibb together. – Jasen May 24 at 4:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.