I'm doing a basement finishing project. When I nailed down bottom plate(treated lumber) for framing, I see some moisture appears after a while, no visible water, right under some of the bottom plates. Before nailing, the basement was dry - no seepage through walls or floor. So I do not know if the moisture is captured temporarily so it will be gone soon or it is coming through floor with nailing.
- Can anyone have similar experience and know why?
- If the moisture comes from the nailing, is there a way to seal it (all framing is already done)?
Any help/advice will be appreciated.
- I don't have a sump pit
- The moisture only appears on two sides - north and west side
- I think it started appearing after 3 to 5 hours of the installation
- Along with the same side where moisture appeared, I put test frame with 2 ETA shots about 8 hours ago, but no moisture is detected yet.
- My house is on a higher ground than street (with retaining walls around the perimeter). So even though basement is still underground, basement floor is almost same level as street. I can tell it because my main sewer pipe is buried under the basement floor.