We've recently moved into a new house and we've found that some of the doors are not closing properly. We had a locksmith in to change the locks and he mentioned that we needed to get a 'keep' for each door with the problem but I'm having trouble sourcing the replacements.

There are a couple of doors that don't need replacing and the keep in them looks like this:

enter image description here

Some candidates that I've found online are here:

When I measure the screw centres on a working door, it looks to be 56 mm as shown here:

enter image description here

So I guess my questions are:

  • Am I measuring the screw centres correctly?
  • Does anyone know where I can source the above keep?
  • Is there some tolerance around the screw centres where it could work with a distance slightly more or less?

1 Answer 1


It looks like you're measuring the screw distances correctly, centerline of screw to centerline of screw. If you can't find exactly what you want online, try hitting a few locksmith shops.

There is some tolerance in mounting these. Depending on the type, you can drill new holes or with a small round file, turn the existing holes into slotted holes. I have seen some that had no holes and you just drilled where you needed them to be.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.