Just got a new house. In the house, I saw many blank patch panels and when I open them, hiding behind them are these two-strand wires (AWG 22).

Any idea what are these wires used for?

I'd like to hard-wire the house with CAT6 cables.

  • Would guess phone cable. Can you see/find where they go to. That size would be used for low voltage, phone, door bell, or thermostat type stuff. Low near floor usually phone jack placement.
    – crip659
    Apr 25, 2021 at 16:19
  • Could also be wires for an alarm system. Look in closets and utility rooms for where they might all come together
    – JACK
    Apr 25, 2021 at 16:47
  • 1
    As per answer from usersomenumber, that is blatantly central vacuum outlets. The giant hole with a pipe is a non-subtle clue.
    – Ecnerwal
    Apr 25, 2021 at 21:15

1 Answer 1


It is rough-in for central vacuum. Pipe and two wires for distant turn on vac. Some special outlets, central vacuum should be installed if you gonna use it. And hoses, connected to outlets, have switches.

  • Would there be vacuum piping an attached garage? Isn't the vac unit usually mounted on a garage wall? Apr 25, 2021 at 19:40
  • @JimStewart I can not tell for every house but from I seen, yes. Most cases it is the place for central vacuum.
    – user263983
    Apr 25, 2021 at 20:23
  • 1
    My house had similar. And in the garage wall was a panel cover with vacuum markings molded in it.
    – DaveM
    Apr 26, 2021 at 2:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.