I am working on a small shop and installed a 30amp plugin type breaker to the main breaker panel.

Now the shop has load of a 230v ac Single phase motor, some lights and outlets.

I wanted to add a disconnect to the 30 amp breaker and my tools (motors,c-outlet,lights) in the shop specifically because the main service panel is a but far for me to got back and forth in case and just for me to work on things without going to the service panel. Can I put a fuse box and just wire up a single fuse to the line side , no fuse on neutral (we have 2 lines, live and neutral wire.) And make the fuse box as a service disconnect.

Knife switch isn't my go, no good for sparks, corrosion as well.

Btw I do have ground, directly into the chassis of the motor.

  • 1
    Providing pictures of the panel(s) in question, with the covers off and the breakers involved identified would help a lot. Edit your post, then drag the clear, focused pictures into the text edit box - the system will upload and host them for you.
    – FreeMan
    Commented Apr 22, 2021 at 11:40
  • 1
    Where are you on this planet? Commented Apr 22, 2021 at 11:46
  • I'm completely with @ThreePhaseEel where is the OP on this planet? It makes a big difference. I grimaced in horror when the OP mentioned fuses and knife switches...taking us back 75-100 years. Also, more info as to what the "motor" is doing and more info about the shop would be helpful Commented Apr 22, 2021 at 12:34
  • 1
    Without a location a proper solution can not be provided. I believe this is a hot and neutral and a properly rated safety switch may be appropriate. Almost every industrial motor in the US has a knife switch @george Anderson some are fused, or circuit breaker but most industrial motor systems require a disconnect and knife switches with a snap action are about the only way to meet the code requirements for lockout tag out. See exhibits 430.16 & 17 in the NEC for examples of this. Or 430.102.B.1
    – Ed Beal
    Commented Apr 22, 2021 at 14:35
  • > EFL > 30A not 32A > 230V ... I detect Australia/New Zealand. Commented Apr 22, 2021 at 20:25

1 Answer 1


The electricians will be along shortly. My recommendation would be a "non-fused safety switch" that can be bought at any electrical store, Lowes, Home Depot, or most any hardware type store, as long as you are feeding the power from a circuit breaker from the main panel. You may be better off by running a heavy wire from the main panel breaker and adding a small circuit breaker panel in the shop area that can be further broken down into individual 120/240 volt circuits. You wrote that (we have 2 lines, live and neutral wire) which needs to be better explained since you don't get 240 volts from 1 wire + a neutral. The electricians will explain your needs better than I can.

  • Hot and neutral provides 240V basically everywhere in the world except US/Canada. Places where Home Depot and Lowe’s don’t exist.
    – nobody
    Commented Apr 22, 2021 at 11:36
  • That's true, @nobody, but there are equivalents. B&Q in the UK, Bunnings in Australia*, for example. I'm sure most countries have something similar. *(just names I'm familiar with, not recommendations, or slights against other brands)
    – FreeMan
    Commented Apr 22, 2021 at 11:51
  • Yeah, we have only 2 lines out here for residential connection. Wires used are called service drops which has an uncoated aluminium wire and a Coated one going to the entrance. Ahh okay so it's fine to like Doing parallel breakers . One from the distribution panel and another one to the Shop. Then that will like a secondary sub panel basically for lights, outlets, etc. Commented Apr 22, 2021 at 12:12
  • We don't have home depot here but there are alot of commercial hardware stores. Commented Apr 22, 2021 at 12:13
  • If the op was in the US the down vote could be warranted because the op The OP did not provide location, additional comments possibly provide this is a hot and neutral but without that information I reversed the down vote.
    – Ed Beal
    Commented Apr 22, 2021 at 14:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.