I noticed a leak inside our master bedroom closet. The kitchen sink is on the other side of this wall. I pulled up the floorboard and cut out some wet drywall to find an open pipe and found that water trickles from this pipe when the sink is running.

(This closet is connected to the master bath and bedroom. It's part of an extension that was built onto the house several years ago before we purchased it. The house was originally built in the 60's.)

Does anyone know what this pipe is and why it would start leaking?

enter image description here

  • 1
    It is very difficult to see details in the photo and it shows no context as to how or where it comes from or its orientation or what material it is. – Alaska Man Apr 18 at 18:57
  • Are there any "extra" pipes connected to your drain in the kitchen? – JACK Apr 18 at 19:04
  • It's 2" D, made of steel, and runs horizontal or parallel to the ground. – West Apr 18 at 19:04
  • 1
    Found one end. Need to find the other end. Also check below that level to see if any more damage was caused. – crip659 Apr 18 at 19:05
  • Jack - Other than the dishwasher drain line going into the drain for the sink, there are no extra pipes on the kitchen drain. – West Apr 18 at 19:06

We can’t see what the pipe is very well but guessing because it is below a sink it may be a clean out point.

A location that a snake is normally run down the drain to clean it out and the plug failed.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.