I just purchased this cordless reciprocating saw: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089QGR718/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

enter image description here

It has a quick-release blade holder

enter image description here

for quick-release blades like this

enter image description here

Are there any attachment sets available for this type of tool - along the lines of what we see here for the big names brands?


enter image description here

I am trying to understand what are the different types of chucks/adapters used for reciprocating saws - and if that difference is why there are so few attachments available. I don't need help on "shopping" but on tool/[brand?] categories. Given such a sizeable set of name branders use one approach - is there a name for that 3/4 circle chuck/adapter?

  • Multitool has different chuck.
    – user263983
    Apr 17, 2021 at 20:22
  • OK so then this is a saw and essentially that's that I take it Apr 17, 2021 at 20:29
  • Vote to close. This is a shopping question. Apr 17, 2021 at 20:29
  • 1
    Multitools and reciprocating saws are two different tools. Can get sets for reciprocating saws or sets for multitools. One is a forward/back motion the other is more side to side motion(I think).
    – crip659
    Apr 17, 2021 at 21:07
  • 1
    You can get a variety of interesting diamond or carbide edge reciprocating saw blades if you look hard enough. Can do some cuts in tile and cinderblock that are hard with a grinder or rotary saw.
    – K H
    Apr 18, 2021 at 6:09

2 Answers 2


They are completely different types of tool.

The item you bought is a reciprocating saw commonly known as a Sawzall. It vibrates in/out with great force. It is designed to use saw blades which have the cutting teeth on the side of the blade. It uses a semi-standard blade shape which looks like an "L" with a dot.

There's a totally different type of tool called an oscillating saw. This head vibrates in 4 directions (sort of like "Wax on/wax off" if you are waxing a car). When it has saw blades, the cutting teeth are on the end of the blade. However it supports a huge variety of other tool heads which can benefit form the oscillating motion. It has a quick-disconnect type that looks like a big asterisk with a side missing, to allow you to position the heads at a variety of angles.

Reciprocating saws are beasts that can cut through 1/2" thick steel with the right blade. Oscillating saws are much more dainty, intended for finer work, and don't have nearly the same cutting force. You don't worry about cutting your arm off with an oscillating saw.

The second set of tool heads you linked are for oscillating saws. They won't work on a reciprocating saw any more than a band-saw blade would work on a chain-saw.

Note that everything you linked is cheap Chinese crud from third-party "eBay tier" sellers on Amazon's little flea market they call "Amazon Marketplace". Expect these tools to very quickly fail, and the tools may be dangerous, since they bypass all consumer-safety laws by selling direct through Amazon. Unfortunately, Amazon mixes these junk products in with their regular search results with no ability to filter, and you often have to muck through pages of these to find a product actually worth buying.

Since Home Depot and Lowes also have online catalogs, and their stuff does not bypass the safety laws, and they have "curbside" so I can get it same day, I buy there instead.

  • Thx for the clarification on the oscillating tools vs the sawzall . As far as the cheap tools that's fine since there is a variety of jobs needed presently but then I won't have much more to do probably for several years. I also face a higher likelihood of the tools being stolen. Apr 17, 2021 at 21:45

The only special attachment for a reciprocating saw I have seen is scraper blades, e.g., https://www.lowes.com/pd/Spyder-3-Pack-Reciprocating-Saw-Scraper-Attachments/1000060921?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-google-_-lia-_-215-_-pta-drillinganddriving-_-1000060921-_-0&placeholder=null&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=CjwKCAjwjuqDBhAGEiwAdX2cj1keJfso5apOXYedben7-1xW0Ktcokagp6yf3biVyQPiXbNQ1ATbWhoCpYoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds.

  • I did see the Spyder's on amazon: maybe that's about all there is . What is that 3/4 circle attachment /bit holder used by Fei, B&D, Bosch, Milwaukee etc called? Apr 17, 2021 at 20:34
  • It is pretty clear those blades for reciprocating saw.
    – user263983
    Apr 17, 2021 at 20:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.